Wednesday 25 January 2012

M3. Ch6 Torn Paper Lines

3.6.1 The first photo shows my pages before adding a colour wash.  I liked the subtle patterns the cartridge paper made - white against white. 
It remained my favourite page after I added a quink colourwash too.  I realise now I used blue instead of the planned black but see possibilities for sea and sky patterns.  I especially like the way the ink is drawn to the edges.

The newspaper page had acrylic ink added.  Not so interesting.

The next page is a mixture of water colour and acrylic paint pieces with a watercolour wash.  Again I like the way the paint is drawn to the edges of the watercolour and subtly changed the colours.  The acrylic just resisted.

My bright magazine pages were colour washed with walnut ink.  On the photo they don't look much different so I've added another, much darker, layer.  The red is still dominant but the rest has receeded .
3.6.2 and 3.6.EA  The first photo shows my preparation for the activity.  That was the easy bit, I found making a picture I was satisfied with very difficult.  Could be partly because I decided to use my paper stash and not create more papers so nothing seemed quite right.  Therefore my series never really materialised as I experimented with colours, something I certainly need to practise more.  All that tearing made my fingeres sore too.

These pictures are actually in the reverse order that I did them.  This is the picture I think worked best, the dominant orange against the browns in the background.
Looking at this and the next picture through a reducing glass I decided they were better with less sky so have chopped the top of the photos for the blog.  The obvious problem with this picture is that there is nothing in the foreground and the orange walls are far too dominant.  Covering the picture definitely improves it so I should have cropped the bottom too.

I think a colour wash might have made the background better although initially I liked the white.  The yellow stands out but it's a bit acidic looking, think it may have been better using the yellows the other way round, cool for the trunk, warm for the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment