Wednesday 30 November 2011

M2 Ch10 Making Sketchbooks

2.10.1  Making trial sketchbooks  I decided to use papers I'd made earlier which I felt would cut down to make little books in their own right.  Only one was made by folding the papers as I've made lots of books in the past using this method but hadn't made stab stitch books before and really liked this style.


2.10.2  Stab stitch books using letters as a theme.  I decided to use a haiku poem for this exercise but when I looked for one I liked I found two, both very different, so decided to make 2 books.  The second one is in another blog.
The first one is about butterflies and rainbows so suggested very bright colours, somehow the indigo didn't quite get there!  The butterflies are sewn because I was missing my sewing machine.  The red pages are using Klimt patterns.  Looking at the page I think maybe most of the black should have been red to keep the rainbow colours.



I was very pleased with this page and feel it really evokes bright butterflies.  I was worried when the inks started spreading on the yellow silk paper but it stopped just in time.

 It took ages finding all the letters in colours which were suitable but think it was worth it.  The butterfly is only stuck down the middle so it can stand out.

I was a bit worried this green page would look a bit childish, if it does I don't think it matters.


The blue butterfly has been concertinaed (is this a word?) but doesn't show on the blog.  The background is the clingfilm I used to dry the blue silk paper page. 


This page is a bit more indigo like.  I decided to leave the haiku in full until last.  It's written in rainbow ink but doesn't show up too well here.  Can't remember if I did or not but if I didn't I should have done it in bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment