Monday 25 March 2013

M5 Ch10 Degas and Pastels

A5.10.1. Mark making with pastels. I already had oil pastels so treated myself to some soft pastels.  There was a great difference in the cost of the different makes so I decided to try different ones to discover why.  Although called soft pastels, they seemed to behave more like Viv's description of hard pastels.  I did like the Sennelier ones (despite getting some on the carpet which I have been unable to remove)  Different colours had a different consistency so needed treating differently, a bit like children.  The colours were beautiful.
I started with my familiar oil pastels...


...moved onto the Daler- Rowney...

and then the Sennelier.

I then found some Faber-Castell ones in a monochrome box I have and tried those.

I tried different papers too - cartridge, water colour, tissue, paper napkin, brown paper but my favourite was black because it made the colours sing and glow.

A5.10.2. Using stencils.  I just used Sonnelier pastels and fingers for the rest of the activities as they were my favourites.  I was pleased with the way the leaf pattern came out and like the brown squares.

 I found the torn paper activity wonderfully therapeutic!


A5.10.3 Copying fragments of Degas paintings was more of a challenge than I expected it to be but I think I improved a bit as I tried more and learnt more about the pastels.
be


To finish, here is a photo of all my module 5 work in their folders.  I found I could use some of the experimental folders done in Ch1 and made more for other chapters, especially 'Bodies and Movement' when I made some larger pictures.
It has been another enjoyable module, time consuming and definitely challenging at times - all that drawing- but I also feel I have learnt a lot and become more confident.



No comments:

Post a Comment